Thirty Days of Thankful.


I love this month, and I really love the Holiday that comes with this month.

A few nights ago, one of my co-workers said: "I love Thanksgiving more than Christmas, because it has all of the same ingredients without all of the stress. It still has all the yummy food and family - we're still together, celebrating our love for each other...it's just without all of that extra hype of gifts and stuff."

Hmn. Aptly put.

And it's kind of true. I absolutely LOVE the magic of the Christmas season - especially seeing and experiencing it through the eyes of my children. But, minus the gifts, Thanksgiving does still have most of the same ingredients as Christmas - food, family, memories being made. I get what she's saying. And in some ways, it's easier to celebrate, slow down, and focus on what really matters.

This morning, the boys and I made a "thankful tree" - an "Advent Calendar" of sorts to countdown until Thanksgiving Day. I had to laugh when I sat down to write this post. While I was waiting for my pics to download, I noticed that my friend Sarah is blogging about the same thing today. For a FAR cuter thanksgiving tree, jump over and see her post.

Real sticks - a much, much better idea! SO super sweet. But for this home, in this season of life, a drawn tree shall have to suffice, as the sticks would not last five minutes before one of the hoolies or one of the cats made short work of my centerpeice. Sigh.

The boys loved the idea and jumped right into creating their own little lists of joy. I told them that maybe we'll do one each meal - or at least one a day - and they both asked, "But what if we think of more than just one thing that we're thankful for?" I love that. And I love seeing their little hearts.

So far, on Kaden's list for today: My brothers, my food, my fish, and my house.

And Jesse has: All my grandparents; My family and Lew; Everyone at the Buswells and Silas and Isaac; and "I'm sad that my old Grammy is dead, but I'm thankful she's in Heaven." (His are a little more wordy...)

And on this Mama's list of thankfuls for today:
2064. Burnt bagels. At least we have food -- in abundance.

2065. Homemade jam from a sister friend to cover the burn.

2066. Brother love.

2070. Little boys in boots.

2076. The older showing the younger the magic of eating snow.

"With my mouth I will give thanks abundantly to the LORD; and in the midst of many I will praise Him." ~ Psalm 109:30

3 comments:

shandy said...

Oh man this is great! A new plan for school tomorrow! Thanks for sharing, Love it.

Kate said...

This is a fantastic idea. You are all amazing.

KateO said...

ok who is Baby Rivers?