Independence Day.

The 4th of July's of my childhood are some of my absolute favorite memories of my life. My Grampy owned a camp on East Grande Lake, and after the morning parade - the entire London side of my family from far and wide - would meet down at the lake, and we would spend the day just being together. Reconnecting, swimming, eating, and hanging out until it was time for the fireworks at night.

I love those memories.

This year, our 4th looked vastly different than it ever has in years past, but it was special, as well. Early in the morning, our entire family went out to the strawberry fields and picked about sixty boxes of berries to bring back and sell at the end of our driveway. We've always talked about doing this, it's good to teach the kid's a healthy work ethic, and it's also quite helpful in paying the bills.

Plus, it was kind of fun.

We told the kids that whatever they picked, they could sell and keep the money for themselves, and I must say they have been quite the little salesmen. They hold up a box of berries and yell at the top of their lungs at the cars that drive by.

No pressure.

Anything that doesn't sell, I get to keep to make jam.
Win-win for everyone.

And in the afternoon, we did the coolest thing that we've ever done on a 4th of July.

For quite a few months now, we've been working with some friends up at the University of Maine campus - living out missional community and Tangible Kingdom stuff that we've been learning and feeling challenged to do. Trying to "be" Christ and "be" the church to people, living amongst and building relationship with seekers and sojourners, and stepping away from our solely Christian world.

Yesterday was so amazing. In recent months, three of our friends have made a committment to follow Christ, and in front of family and friends they were baptized yesterday. On Independence Day, these three made a public statement of faith that they are free in Christ, free from the bondage of sin, and free from their past.

At supper, there was a fellowship of saved and unsaved alike, Chinese friends, Indian neighbors, college seekers, families of faith, and families who are not, rubbing shoulders, breaking bread, creating new friendships, and just living life together. Afterwards, we went to the fireworks with some old, true blue friends of the faith and some new Chinese friends who don't know Jesus - but who know us and want to be with us.

So, I wasn't celebrating with my immediate and extended family yesterday. I wasn't in the comfort of my own home and my own people. There was a bit of stretching and a bit of growing that was involved. But, there was true missional community. I celebrated with some of my family of my faith and with some who don't yet know Christ, but who want to be a part of our community.

And as I sat beside my new Indian friend, and as a sweet little Chinese student loved on my boys, while new connections were made, and while fresh friendships were deepened, I couldn't help but think of this verse in Matthew:

"This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come."

That's a pretty powerful verse when you think about it. This is the only verse in Scripture that tells us when the Lord will return. He will come back once the gospel has been declared to every nation. And we don't have to go overseas anymore to be Christ to every nation. They're here - living right in our neighborhoods, attending our colleges, and shopping in our same grocery stores.

Oh man. That's what I want to be about.
Being intentional.
Missional community.
Being Christ to people who may or may not ever step through the doors of a church.
Doing my itty bitty part amidst the crazyness of my own little world.

A visit over coffee, or knocking on a stranger's door - those things can be big.
Stepping out of our comfort zone, walking across a room, or inviting a virtual stranger over for a playdate can be scary.

But amazing things can happen.
Breaking down barriers, tearing down walls, being Christ while living life.
That's something that all of us can do.

And one beautiful day.....the end WILL come!
And then we'll celebrate Independence Day in the truest sense of the word.

2 comments:

Angie said...

proud of you, my friend. it can be hard to not be with family on days like this, but to embrace the wonderfulness of what today brought is what it's all about. love you. xxooxx

Katie said...

I'm so grateful to know you Bookers. And so glad that I could be in on that marvelous Fourth you described. Seriously. You guys are awesome.