In Process

I feel like right at this moment I have about a kajillion irons in the fire and a thousand projects started with nothing completed yet! I think that's the way summer often tends to go, but as we increase livestock (well, mini farm animals) and as gardens grow, I'm increasingly convinced that people who are "true" farmers and gardeners must stay home a lot more than we do! Or, at least, they maybe don't go away for huge chucks of time like we do. Just wondering. It feels like we are just barely treading water in trying to stay on top of these things! But, they're all fun, and they're ALL good. There are just so MANY! Whew.....

Anyway, here's a pictorial blog entry of all of the goings on here at the Booker household -In process projects galore!



This is my ginormous garden. I really have no idea how it got to be so big - I fully intended to take baby steps this first year as I don't have a clue what I'm doing. I blame my little old neighbor, Lou. He said: "You've got the space, you might as well stick some stuff in the ground!" So, that's what we did.....



These are my tomatoes alone - all 18 of them! Again - how did this happen??? I also have a row of green beans, and entire row of potatoes that Lou planted for me because, and I quote: "You have 4 boys. You need an entire row of potatoes." I have corn, carrots, swiss chard (which I've never eaten in my life, but Lou assures me I'll love it), radishes, yellow and green peppers (Lou says, "Horrors!" to the yellow peppers), two kinds of onions, cucumbers, yellow summer squash (Lou says that summer squash is: "Horrid!"...I don't think he likes yellow veggies....), two types of winter squash, pumpkins, and some melons....which I'm quite confident will bite the dust.

Right now, this is my main project that I am working on and racking my brain trying to figure out ideas of how to lay down cardboard, mulch, hay - you name it - WHATEVER to keep weeds at bay. Methinks it will probably be quite the jungle down there by summer's end. Ah well. It's a learning summer.

Here's project Number two:

Our chicken coop that was ORIGINALLY intended for three chickens, yet somehow it's needing to house 6 chickens, 1 turkey, and 2 ducks. Again......WHAT? I have a sickness, I think.
I can't stop.

It's functional, yet it still needs a ramp, a window, nesting boxes, and a run for my girls. It's divided into two compartments inside because the turkey and the chickens really shouldn't live together, but every single blessed night he jumps over and when I go out to them in the morning, all the chicks are nestled all around him. SO - he'll just stay over on the girl's side, and the other will be our duckies new digs. It's all good.

And another big, but really fun (I can say it's fun, because I did nothing to help put it together in the two ENTIRE days that it was worked on) project is this:



For the boys' birthdays this summer, rather than have all the uncles, grandparent's, and us buy gifts for the kids, we all pitched in to get this lovely swingset. It came with about a million pieces, but it's almost done, and the boys LOVE it! The fort on top still needs to be finished, and a little picnic table needs to be attached, but for all intents and purposes the kids can still play to their heart's content right now.



And SOMETIME in the near future, I hope to replace my fire-engine red shutters and doors with other more shall we say, "Amy-like" colors. But, that's for another day.

Right now, there's THIS little bit of deliciousness that is completely distracting me.....


Seriously.....that head....those ears....he has NOTHING to do with this post....but, oh my!

1 comment:

Rachael said...

HOLY. GARDEN. Good luck with those weeds, my friend! And from one mini-farmer to another...I understand your weakness for friends of the feathered nature. I say fill the coop chock-a-block full. Love, love, love the pics! (Especially the sweet yummy one at the end...)