A Nine Day Drought......

My hubby is heading back home to his little family today after being gone for NINE DAYS. Whew! It's felt like a month in more ways than one. We are not overly fond of being away from each other or of splitting the family up too often, and other than taking our youth group kids to Africa almost five years ago, this is the longest that we have ever been apart.

Not a fan of it.

After having been on my own for these several days with three crazies and all of them sick at one time or another throughout this entire time, my respect level for single mothers has jumped to a new level. I have always had great respect for Moms who do this on their own - I have just never had to do it myself to be able to fully and wholly appreciate these amazing women. And for goodness sake, it wasn't even two full weeks, but I'm thinking of a handful of ladies right now who I am going to make something special for "just because" they are doing this on their own. Kudos to you girls. There's a special place reserved for you in Heaven! Whew!

Overall though, it's been a pretty good couple of weeks. I am quite positive that I would never have received the "Mother of the Year Award" during this time, but we've done some fun things, I've tried to keep sickness at bay, the boys haven't killed each other, they've still eaten somewhat nutritiously, and I've managed some decent quality time with each one.

We kicked it up to my parents house for half of the time, and this was my saving grace and sanity! Time up in the wide open spaces is so good for ALL of us. We went 4-wheeling as often as we could, I successfully flipped both boys off into a mud patch on our way to some snow!, we had hot dog roasts in Grampy's little cabin outside, we planted seedlings just for fun, Grampy had all kinds of projects to keep little hands busy, Grammy had special tea parties, and we got to see our favorite cousins. It was good.

And so today, we eagerly await the return of Daddy - the stability and heart of our home. We're going to make a welcome home banner, the kids are going to make him a bunny cake - "because Daddy loves bunnnies" - (who knew)?, and if life cooperates, I'm going to try and whip up a special supper.

I appreciate time apart because it makes me that much more thankful for all of the little and big things that Kev does for us - things that I don't ever worry about, like: building fires to keep us warm, keeping my car gassed up and tires blown up, tag teaming getting ready for the day, tag teaming sickness in the night, protection if someone tries to break in! - I received specific instructions on what to do should that have happened!, help with packing, loading, and unloading the car for trips, dealing with our current mouse problem, fixing things that break, and just the lightheartedness, stability, and fun that he brings to our home. Again - huge respect for all of the single moms....

Hurry home, my Love! Welcome to the funny farm!
We have missed you!!!!

No comments: