Making Time

Came across a poem yesterday that I love. So good for me.....this mother who struggles with always wanting to accomplish things, who has a hard time just sitting and "being;" yet, who so desperately doesn't want to have any regrets.

* * * * * * *

Time is of the Essence

Now is the time to get things done,
wade in the water,
sit in the sun,
squish my toes
in the mud by the door,
explore the world in a boy just four.

Now is the time to study books,
flowers,
snails,
how a cloud looks;
to ponder "up,"
where God sleeps at nights,
why mosquitoes take such big bites.

Later there'll be time
to sew and clean,
paint the hall
that soft new green,
to make new drapes,
refinish the floor -
Later on....when he's not just four.

* * * * * * *

So good......so good

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww...oh my goodness...its good to be reminded of these kinds of things sometimes...so easy to 'be busy' sometimes, doing things that aren't as important, really, as being with the ones we love, especially our little ones, who grow so quickly!! Aww...nice. Thanks for sharing.

Angie said...

that was cute, ame. I actually just found thise cute one on another blog I read, and thought you might enjoy it. love you. xo

Song for a Fifth Child.

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

Anonymous said...

oh ame--need to read this about 10 times a day! getting teary...love that other poem too--only ever knew the last stanza...i have great news, and no it's not me--see you tonight!