One Year Ago......

A year ago this week, this Mommy had the scare of her life. Jesse was seven months old, and it was the very weekend that he started scooting. Kev had a Saturday class, and I drove him to school because I wanted the car to go to the market later. In my hurry to get him out the door, I was careless and left my curling iron on and sitting on the floor in our bathroom. When the boys and I got back home from dropping Kev off, I completely forgot about it and went about my business. Kaden went to use the bathroom, Jesse crawled in after him, and the rest is history.



Certainly the most traumatic thing we have ever been through as a family. Days upon days of screaming and cleaning and bandaging and rebandaging his sweet little hands. 45 minutes to an hour both morning and evening. Trying times.



Our family experienced God's grace and mercy in amazing ways during those weeks and months, though. We have a very unique insurance, so because of this only certain doctors and hospitals will take us on. If we didn't have this situation, we would have simply gone to one of the doctor's right in the area of our school. Instead, our pediatrician sent us to the number one Pediatric Hospital in the nation with one of the very best plastic surgeons in that hospital. And get this - not only was our Dr. Chang one of the BEST.......he had a specialty, and it was specifically HANDS!



Kev doesn't like re-living those days, and neither do I. But, it is important to remember how very good God was to us and how well He took care of us! We got the number one hospital with the number one doctor who was known for making toes into fully functioning fingers and operating on far more severe burns than our little guy experienced. He took such great care of our baby and what was even more amazing was the fact that back in those days Jesse was quite the screamer.....and he was completely mesmerized and calm whenever this doctor took care of him.....every single time! I wanted to take him home with us!

Being in that hospital was also helpful for me to gain proper perspective of our situation. Many parents were experiencing far more excruciating and traumatic situations than we were. In the grand scheme of things, it could have been far far worse. Nothing I EVER want to go through again.....but it was helpful to be reminded of how many things I had to be thankful for.



This is not a great picture, but it shows how his fingers healed before having surgery. They healed somewhat claw-like, and the doctors said that as his hands grew he would be in pain because of the lack of skin there and he would not have full functionality like he should.

So, on Jesse's first birthday, he got a little blue cast and had a skin graft taken from his hips. You can't even see the hip scar today, and the scarring from his burns is all on the bottom of his hand, so no one ever even notices unless he flips his hand over. I can't believe that I don't have a picture of his hand now, but needless to say, it is completely healed with full and total functionality. Praise the Lord! There is a tiny little scar along the side of his middle finger that may need to be looked at when he turns three or four, but if it feels tight or painful not only will he be able to tell us by that age, but it will be the tiniest, most minor of surgeries - and in and out thing which will not be a big deal at all.

And knowing my Jesse like I do......methinks this will be the first of many a hospital visit! But the last of one that is because of me, Lord willing.......

* * * * * * * * * *

"He heals the brokenhearted....and binds up their wounds." ~ Psalm 147:3

"My soul, wait in silence for God only, for my hope is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be shaken. On God...I rest; the rock of my strength, my refuge is in God. Trust in Him at all times, oh people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us." ~ Psalm 62:5-8

"When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches, for You have been my help, and in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy. My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me." ~ Psalm 63:6-8

7 comments:

rachael a said...

ohhhhhhh. . my word. i never saw a pic of his hand till just now. ames. i don't know how you did it.. . but for God's grace. sometime you will have to tell me about it again. . . just because. . it's so amazing that you can live through it. your poor dear mommy and daddy hearts. his poor little hand.

Esther said...

Wow, Ame, I never saw that pic either. How scary!!! I had chills reading your blog. I am so sorry you guys had to go through that. Thank the Lord he is okay! I have never even noticed anything about his hands when I've seen him. : )

Trish D said...

So glad to know that he's doing well now. I can remember getting that initial email with the prayer request for his hand, and gasping as I thought about such a little guy with severe burns. But God *IS* good!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear...that first picture is awful - I do not know how you managed to bandage those dear little hands every day without just weeping - that little jesse is quite a little fighter, huh?! I am soooo soo glad his dear little hands are healed - amazing story to remember...and amazing to be able to see what today is like for sweet little Jesse, when a year ago you might have wondered...that's so amazing...so many prayers were prayed for you guys - how awesome to see the after-affects of that.

Hope you had a good time with your fam - I'll talk to you again soon, Ame -- I love ya bunches.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Amy.

*major hugs*

Kind of interesting-- at youth group here, our girls are talking about "stones of remembrance," times that God took care of us or did something awesome in our lives when we were least expecting it. Thanks for reliving this, even though you hate to, and helping the rest of us share the goodness of God in your life.

Miss you Bookers.

XOXOXO

Angie said...

oh, your sweet little boy!! I know that it was so hard on you, but look at him now!! Now if I could just see a pic of his beautiful face!! :) love you!! xoxoxo will try to chat again this week...ang

Anonymous said...

Ame, I have much respect and sympathy for you and Kev as I can hardly watch my girls get shots without tearing up. Gives us a window into how the Father felt with Jesus and how he aches for all our hurts doesn't it? Love you!