Weekends!

It's scuzzy out today. We planned to go and pick some peaches and blackberries at our local orchard this evening, but we may just have to stay home and chillax whilst it thunders and rains outside.

Yesterday, out little fam kicked it for the day and went to a county fair over in New Jersey. Kev heard about it on the news, so we decided to go and scope it out. Both boys are at a really fun age to do something like this. Kaden loves the rides -even the scary ones - and there is enough action going on for Jesse so that he is very entertained and content while Kaden and I race from ride to ride. Daddy doesn't like the rides so much - but we are adrenaline lovers. It took me about fifteen minutes to convince this kid that he would not like the Gravitron! Do you all remember that ride? He thought for sure that he would love it, but we stuck with the kiddie coasters and little car rides, instead. No hurlage today, thank you.

Both boys loved the petting zoo, which, by the way, is my most favorite part of the whole fair. And of course - who can resist the yummy and oh so good for you fair food? De-lish!

But the highlight of the day was the "toddler races" that took place at high noon.

Let me paint a picture for you. Imagine - (hypothetically, of course) - two highly competative parents with a one year old who, at his well-child checkup the day before was told that at his age they only expect babies this young to be standing and possibly taking a toddling step or two. (Kaden didn't take a single step until well over fifteen months of age, by the way). WELL! Imagine my swollen head at the knowledge that our Jesse is not only running, but he is also able to climb on and off of all of our chairs, couches, and beds!

Soooooo, when we heard of this toddler "race" I was like: "Oh my word! Jesse is so totally going to kick butt in these races! Let's sign him up!" Kev was completely up for it, so we got some racing numbers slapped to his back and Daddy and he even had a couple of practice runs where Kev would run aways away and yell for Jesse to "Come to Daddy!" Kaden and I sat back and sized up our competition, and I pictured our very first trophy sitting on the shelf - completely convinced that we had this race in the bag!

WELL! When the race began we were told that one parent could wait at the finish line, and one person could "run" with their toddler. We could do anything but "help" them physically. (Looking back, I totally should have been waving his favorite snack in front of his eyes...then for SURE we would've won). ANYWAY.....He was raring to go, but I had to hold onto him to keep him from cheating and getting a jump start. Well, this got him all in a funk, so when the starting whistle blew, Jesse just stood there and crabbed at me for a good ten seconds! Then, when he finally realized that he was actually free and could run, he just mosied along like a little snail, he crossed over about four other lanes, he stopped and tried to flip over a wooden sign, he died laughing and walked like a drunkard, and HE CAME IN DEAD LAST!

Oh my word! We were laughing so hard, I almost peed my pants! You should have heard us cheering and seen how we acted like clowns trying everything in our power to get him to RUN to us! He would have nothing of it, and he absolutly loved making us look like idiots! He was so cute and so proud of himself! It was SO. MUCH. FUN!!!

7 comments:

Esther said...

Amy I love reading your posts! I was laughing out loud on this one. I can just picture him now. Can't wait to have you guys home so we can see Jesse and Kaden much more often!

rachael a said...

oooooooooh boy. so fun ames. i wish we could have been there. we took sam to the fair this evening. it was just the three of us and kinda quiet but towards the end we payed waaaay too much money to have him and daddy go down the super slide! he LOVED it. he's such a little dare devil! also. . i didn't know kids their age are normally not walking! sam's been walking with help since about 7 months and any day now he is soooooo taking off on his own. he takes more and more steps every day . . today esp he was just totally surprising us! but see kurt and his sister both were running around at 9 months! so in my mind im like. . whats taking you so long! haha. . good times. it will be so fun when we can do all these fun things together. . the . . counting. . SEVEN of us! that sounds like so many! how did it go from four to seven so fast!

Anonymous said...

Hehehehehe, I really want to see your littler boy now! (Well, it'd be nice to see you all, but y'know . . .) He was just getting "exciting" when I last saw him! :) Love you guys!

Shay said...

I'm imagining the Chariots of Fire soundtrack playing as he crossed the finish line... :P Such fun!

Anonymous said...

Okay...adorable. I wish I knew this kid...hilarious. so - guess what?...I have a computer...and the...- wait for it - the INTERNET...in my home...alas - I am catching up with the times...so - will soon be writing a long-awaited (ahem!) XANGA post...be sure to drop by sometime in the near future...I am so happy to once again be connect to the world-wide-web...and to read about your life with your boys...will have to chat again soon - it was so nice to talk to you last week...Love ya, dear friend.
Kristi

Anonymous said...

Okay...adorable. I wish I knew this kid...hilarious. so - guess what?...I have a computer...and the...- wait for it - the INTERNET...in my home...alas - I am catching up with the times...so - will soon be writing a long-awaited (ahem!) XANGA post...be sure to drop by sometime in the near future...I am so happy to once again be connect to the world-wide-web...and to read about your life with your boys...will have to chat again soon - it was so nice to talk to you last week...Love ya, dear friend.
Kristi

Shay said...

Amy, you've been tagged on my blog!