I love you - my little bro and Marmie

Well, after this morning, for the first time in about twenty years, my childhood home will be "pet-less." Mom called this morning saying that our old dog, Sassie, has been having some pretty serious seizures for the past few days, and the vet said there was nothing that could be done. So, Mom made the tough call to put her down.

For those of you who are NOT animal lovers - you will not understand.....but for those of us who are....man - they really become like part of the family. I feel the saddest for Mom, because she's had to do the dirty work and make the tough calls with all of our pets. My cat lived - believe it or not - to be 20 years old! I had her since I was five, so I was long gone by the time she kicked the bucket. Sassy is Aaron's dog, and although very attached to her, he has also moved out and has a life of his own, as well.

Meanwhile, this leaves poor Mom who has to deal with all the animals when they become not so cute anymore and actually quite senile in their old age! This is the not-so-fun part of welcoming animals into the family. Having said that, however, both Kev and I are animal lovers, and we have a die-hard little animal lover in Kaden, as well. So, I know that we will go through our share of strays, adoptions, litters of babies, AND I'm sure many a crying fest, as well, at pets who will have become road kill, lost, or who will simply kick the bucket because of old age.

I sure experienced my share of animal joys and "tragedies" growing up, but those are also some of my greatest childhood memories, as well. So, I thank you, sweet Marmie, for always letting us have our little furry friends and for doing all of the dirty work when we left home! May I do the same for my children. I love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy,I'm very sorry to hear
about your dog :o( I know what it is like to lose a family pet after many years. Sometimes it seems like we cry more about them then the people in our lives. They love us no matter what and that is what makes it hard to loose them. Love you much!