"School" Yesterday.

On this fine rainy day, at The Booker Academy of Brainy Brilliance, we focused on five major subjects.  And they were as follows:

Epic Mess of Mass Porportions 101
Epic Mess of Mass Porportions 102
Epic Mess of Mass Porportions 103
Epic Mess of..... you get the drift.

Buuut...it shall merely go down in the books as "Home Economics" for Kaden.
And....er..."Art???" for Jesse.
And..."Barely Controlled Chaos" for the Mama.

I give you our kitchen in all of its various stages of awesomeness this morning.

Epic Mess #1 involved cooking down and putting into jars my Mom's cucumber relish.  Throw in a delightful little morning visit with a Mama and her wee babe... a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee....some gleeful playing of water in the sink, 15 interrupted conversations, and there you have 101.
Notice the leaky shorts on child to the right....
Poor kid.  Where's his Mama?


Epic Mess #2 involved my sweet little artsy fartsy Jesse who just loves to "create" for lack of a better word.  Kaden was up to his elbows in cucumbers with me, and Ransom likes to be wherever Kaden is - so I gave Jesse free reign of the kitchen table, a little water, some flour, and anything he wanted in the craft closet.  And there you have EPIC mess #2 - which really rivaled all of the other messes put together for its "epic-ness."  Wowza.



Jesse in ALL of his glory.
Seriously, he is never happier than when he is "creating."

Give me grace.  Holy Hannah.
Epic Mess #3 involved all of my tomatoes that seem to have ripened overnight which are sitting here, there, and everywhere - in my kitchen, on my window sills, and ALL over my basement floor in various levels of ripeness.  Upon seeing them in all of their glory, I promptly declared that I needed to make my most favorite tomato carrot soup for supper and thus began blanching and peeling them - really with nary a thought as to all of the other happenings that were also going on all around.

And though I love my soup, in the effort of keeping it real, Jesse despises it.
Last night, he said it tasted like he was "trying locusts."  Awesome.

Epic Mess #4 started when I noticed all of my reeeally green tomatoes that were sitting there admist all of my ripe tomatoes, and I decided then and there that I also needed to make a second batch of green tomato pickles.  Right now.  Why wait?  My basement has become overridden with these little fruities and I'm starting to feel like I might go postal.  So, after having "gifted" my friend with two grocery bags of tomatoes, after making soup, and after making batch #2 of green tomato lovliness, I now only have 1/4 of my basement covered in maters.  We are getting there...  And my kitchen, I apologize, dear friend.


Seriously.  I am overrun.
Anyone want any?  Anyone?  Hello?


A most delish recipe if anyone needs a way to get rid of their green maters.

And Epic Mess #5 involved Kaden - from start to finish - making his Daddy his very own batch of cucumber relish with ingredients that will be gentle for his tummy.  Now that's a Home Ec. class if I ever did see one.  And I thought - Hey, we're already knee deep in chaos.  Why don't we just embrace it all the way?  Seriously, I can't hurt this place much more.


Our fish looks traumatized.  He should.


And whilst my kitchen is still in a bit of a state of shock from all of our cooking and cleaning and "crafting?" - it has been a productive day, to say the least.

Yes, there is a kitten on the dishwasher.
The dishes are still dirty.  Just sayin'.

Yes.  Home Economics.  Whew.  Enough said.
Goin' crazy.
Want to come?
Oh ---  And here's my living room:
Ahhh yess.

6 comments:

Rachael said...

Holy. Hannah. I love it! Nothing like harvest season! Oh and my girlies were wondering what the fate of little miss naughty Kitty was...is she a keeper?

Amy said...

Yes. She's a keeper. It's the kitten who is being naughty now. They can totally hold their own with each other. It's all good.

LaurelM said...

thanks for the reminder of why i don't homeschool. or have a garden.

Cheryl said...

Wow! How many tomato plants did you have in your garden this year? Your productivity in the kitchen is awesome! And I know your boys will have wonderful memories of these times for the rest of their lives. Love the kitten in the dishwasher, too. =)

Sennie said...

Love it, just love it!! I bet your boys are loving it all, and this winter you'll be so happy with all the chaos you allowed when you taste a piece of summer..
It was WONDERFUL to meet you this past weekend!! I hope we see each other again, soon!

Kristi said...

haha -- LaurelM's comment made me laugh. I can relate to how she feels...while also wishing somewhere in my soul that i was more like you...and i wish sooo so badly that i lived near you - not just so i could help/partake in your tomatoes and pickles, but...just so i could have visits more than once a year. miss you.