Rolls: A Sharing Edition.


There are two types of rolls I'm thinking about today.
Both of them are mine.
Well, that's not completely true, I guess.
One type completely originated with me - the other originated from my good friend, Jessica Bloodsworth.

Let's talk about mine first, shall we?

Somehow, someway - in the days leading up to our trip to California, or during the week that we were in California, or in the week and a half since we've been back from California, I have gained seven pounds.

Se-ven pounds.
These are the rolls that are all mine.

(That Starbucks mermaid or whatever the whoseewhatzit she is and I were very good friends on one of our flights. Besty bests...)

We went jogging every morning that we were out there, and I guess I justified that a twenty minute run would cancel out all of the coffee and snacks I consumed during my meetings and all of the coffee and icecream shops that we visited during our seven days of summer out there. Alas. I am less than impressed.

So, I have begun to dutifully drag myself downstairs and put in my time on our treadmill, once again. And when I dragged myself back upstairs for my life giving cup 'o joe......

Well, this is where the second kind of rolls fits into my story.

You see, I have this recipe - originated from Jess B. as previously stated above - that are the easiest, fastest, absolutely most deliciously fool proof recipe for rolls that you have ever seen in your life. I promise you. I make them for every potluck supper, every holiday and company meal, and any other time that I wish to impress others with my bread making skills.

And without fail, each time that I make them, people ask for the recipe. I surely hope it wasn't a family secret, Jess, because people the world over have this recipe now. It is THAT good. And equally THAT easy.

Win win for the rolls.
These ones, anyway.
NOT the other ones. Blast them all.

I promise you that once you make these puppies - you will never go back to what you were previously making. Anyway, they are sitting by my coffeemaker as we speak. Mocking me. I made them for a potluck last night and have a few left over. And yes - three people, in fact - asked me for the recipe. I told you. You can thank Jessica after you try them out for yourself.

Super versatile. Super delish. Completely foolproof. And crazy easy.
People will think you are amazing.
And who doesn't need a little ego boost every once in awhile?
Especially when you have a few extra rolls of the other kind hanging around?

Here's the recipe:
JESSICA BLOODSWORTH'S SUPER AMAZING, MOST DELICIOUSLY ASTUTE, POTATO REFRIGERATOR ROLLS:

In a ginormous bowl, dissolve:
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 Tablespoons of dry yeast
2/3 cups sugar

Let this stuff sit for a couple of minutes to get a little foamy.

In the meantime, boil enough potatoes to make one heaping cup. I usually cook about 3 medium to small taters to do the trick. NOTE: instant mashed works just fine, as well. (versatile! easy!) I have done both, and I honestly taste no difference. I just usually do the real thing because I still have a ton left from my garden. Mash them up and let them cool a bit.

Into your honking bowl, proceed to dump your potatoes along with everything else listed here:
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup melted butter (or Earth Balance for those with dairy issues)
2 beaten eggs
7 cups of flour (Any combination will do. Obviously the white flour of death makes the fluffiest rolls. I have also done with both wheat and spelt. Better for you. Not as amazing in looks or flavor. Depends on what you're going for...)

Mix everything together with a wooden spoon. It will be a bit sticky and lumpy.
Form it into a ball.
Take the ball out just long enough to grease your bowl, and then put it right back in. Voila! A one pot wonder!

If you want to cook your rolls that day, set them on your stove for about an hour until they double in size. Or, if you so desire, you can put them in your refrigerator to rise overnight....or get this - for up to seven days. Easy! Versatile!

Once, they have arisen to your desired size, divide your dough into two equal balls. Each ball will make either 12 large rolls or 16 medium rolls. I often will just cook off half of the dough and freeze the other portion for another meal. The dough freezes wonderfully.

Roll your dough out into a pizza shape, and using a pizza cutter, divide the dough either into 12 large sections or 16 medium sized ones. Just cut the circle in half. Cut it in half again. And divide each quarter either into three's or four's. Roll each piece up from the fat end to the point. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 13-15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.

And there you have it.
World's best rolls.
They may or may not play into my previously above mentioned dilemma....

However, as the great Luciano Pavarotti once said: "One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating."

Yes. yes! Here here!
I freely and fully agree.
And so thus, I shall run. So that I may continue to eat.
I am, after all, all about the food....

4 comments:

Angelica said...

amen amen and amen..~~
run to eat..eat to run....


dude..I gained 8 pounds since I stared teaching.
I know all about'em rolls~~ ive got one on my right and one on my left~~and one in the middle~~

the stairs and I have been spending time together....and one day I'll be able to leave my rolls behind~

Rachael said...

Rolls? Yah, I got em too....Two buns in the oven, actually! I cringe at the rolls I'm gonna have when they're done cooking! :-) 7 pounds...HAH! Thats child's play, my friend! Hehe
Seriously, though...I'm gonna try that recipe sometime! Sounds DELISH!

Kate said...

She's a siren. For the record. ;)

Jessica said...

Good work Amy! They look very good :) I get asked to make them quite often and I always make it up the night before and put it in the fridge to rise. I think it makes it easier to work with. Now you have made me want some! Love ya!