First Grade.

We started school back up again this week. A little later this year, but I had my dear friend from New York visiting, and I wanted to savor my time with her, so we're getting into our rhythm a little bit late this time. That's the beauty of homeschooling, I guess.

This is only my second year doing this whole gig, and really my first year that I have to be serious about recording things and answering to anyone other than myself - but I feel confident and so much more relaxed this go around. For right now, for this moment in time - this is right for our family. I have no idea what the future holds - or even next year for that matter - but for the here and now it is good.

If for one more year I can fight - and win - the battle for simplicity and keep us all from running ragged, and if for one more year Kev and I can dictate the schedule of our family's life and not anyone else, than for those reasons alone, I am happy. And for some crazy reason - (I can distinctly remember declaring emphatically MANY times that I would NEVER homeschool my kids) - this kind of suits me. I'm still a little shocked that I love it so much.

Something gets accomplished each day, and I love that.
It gives added structure to our daily routine. I am ALL about that.
And It forces me to be intentional.
It makes me spend a few hours of really intense one on one time with my kids.
And I need that.

I am so good at running around and conquering the world that sometimes I can look back on a day and realize that no touching, no snuggling, no real conversation and focused eye contact took place. In two years, Kaden will be nine which will mark the halfway point of the amount of time that he will (most likely) live with us.

Man. It's fleeting.
And this helps me to savor.
We are together. We are reading side by side. We are talking and spending time with each other. I am paying attention. I am watching. I am learning them better and getting to know them on a different level.

Will we do it next year? Who knows?
Will I use the same curriculum? No idea.
Life as we know it could change in an instant, and that's cool, too.
I am completely open to that.

But for today, and for this year, I'm keeping it simple.
Although it's adding one more thing to my plate - in so many other ways it's helping me to - once again - slow down and see the sacred amidst the chaos.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Woo-hoo for first grade!!! Love those pics, Amy...so sweet. Great memories of "savoring".
And I agree...we are LOOOOONG overdue for a visit! Things are winding down nicely over here now...if next week looks okay for you, we'd love to come visit y'all! Let me know if that works for you...
P.S. The girls are DESPERATE to meet Smudge. :o)