Little Boys' Paradise

Today was.

Well - except for the ATROCIOUS black flies that almost ate us alive.

We decided to go on another crazy family adventure and check out some place that Kev's friend told him about where there is potentially great fishing to be had and a super fun place to take our family. I have not a clue where we ended up, but it truly was an adventure!

We loaded the car with all the necessities: bug dope, camel back for our water, wellies, fishing poles, spare clothes for kidlets, fire wood, hotdogs, and buckets and nets for potential treasures.

And then we drove. And then we got lost. And then we ended up on some dirt road in the middle of nowhere for a few miles. Then we parked and hiked about a half mile UP a trail through the woods - backpacking Jesse and our stuff - trying to avoid patch upon patch of poison ivy...all the while getting somewhat eaten alive, but not too bad.

And THEN - out of nowhere - we ended up at this gorgeous pond with firepit already built and a little peice of Heaven on Earth where we kicked it for the day! The boys got thoroughly drenched while exploring and playing in the water. We fed them a horrific lunch of hotdogs, chips, and M&M's. And we found a treasure trove of little boy wonders!!!

* Tons of minnows - almost all of which Jesse killed by continuing to hold them.
* Several frogs.
* Two leeches - which Jesse tried to kiss - which I quickly put the kibosh to.
* TONS of minnow eggs - Oh! This was so exciting for me!!!
* And the kicker - a snake that was eating a frog when I picked it up! How COOL is that?!!!! He dropped the frog as soon as I grabbed him, and Kaden was a little distressed that the frog might be dead but equally excited at the possibility of a new snakey pet. I assured him that the snake was perfectly happy living in the pond. There was momentary sadness but no convincing the Mama, so we quickly moved on.

Aaaaaand no fishies for the Daddy. Aaaahhh - fishing's just not quite what it used to be pre-kidlets.......but waaaay more eventful!

A truly, glorious day indeed!

6 comments:

KateO said...

eeew. I must be more girly than I thought, cause the thought of picking up a snake grosses me out, and then the whole snake eating the frog...shuddering at the thought of it, it sorta makes me wanna gag.
But anyway...I'm still wondering what a "wellie" is...please do enlighten me!!
Kate

Sarah said...

I'm assuming we're the friends. If so...I'm SOOO glad you guys found it! It is a hard one to spot....but worth the upward climb! That big rock by the water is TERRIFIC to sit on at night and watch the stars.

Chantelle said...

3 words. Eww. Yuck. and Gross! You SO rock as a mom to boys. No way, no how could I enjoy all that. Guess that's why God gave me 4 girls and only 1 boy! :)

Life With My Joys..... said...

Kate-O - "wellies" are those rubber boots that you can wade in the water with. what do you guys call them?

Yes, Sarah! You guys are the "friends!" Rockin' spot!!

KateO said...

Ohhh...makes sense. Thanks Amy!
I think we just call them boots...lol...maybe golashes?
Kate

Cheryl said...

I love your super positive attitude in the midst of chaos! These are surely fun times that the boys will always remember as they grow up. You two are awesome parents for providing the memories. :-) (Glad you made it to the pond. Sarah was pretty peeved at Jason for suggesting such a rough trek for a pregnant mommy with two young kidlets!)