Friends and Reconnecting

I'm feeling sappy today, so be prepared!

I love the friendships where you could go months - years even - without talking, but in a single phone call or visit you are able to reconnect instantly. When I went home to Maine to visit with several of them, and this week when I got messages from three others who live out of state and in Canada, I have once again been reminded of the depth and gift of friendships that God has given me.

When we go home to visit with our friends and family now - the visits with friends have changed. I usually now only have an afternoon at best, or more likely an hour or two to reconnect after being gone for four or five months. So, we've got to make that time count! In a way, I love these visits even more, and I KNOW that I appreciate my friends more now - because I treasure those few moments that we have AND we don't spend time talking about petty things. We go deep immediately. It may no longer be "quantity" time, but it surely is "quality." (Although I didn't get as much of that with Esther and Jess - but Christmas is coming!) Anyway, I just love that even though we haven't been sharing in each other's lives for months, these friends make time for me and we can always pick right back up where we left off.

I had a conversation like that a couple of days ago with my beautiful friend Angie. I think it has been almost a year since we've talked. The same happened a few months earlier with Kristi - my longest known friend and with Tracy, my CRAZY freshman college roommate. I am mortified to think of the time that I have allowed to lapse in between conversations with these girls, but I LOVE how we immediatley reconnect, how we know each other's hearts, and how we feel safe to be able to share the deep things even though it has been months. THAT is true friendship. These are women who I may not see for five or ten years, but it will feel like yesterday when we finally do get together again. My cousin, Jodi, is the same way. I swear we play phone tag more than we actually talk, but she cares enough to play! We live states apart and see each other only twice a year, but she is still the sister-I-never-had.

God has blessed my life with women who are kindred spirits and sister's of the heart. And He has blessed me with wonderful new friends here in Philly, as well. I have a full life, I am blessed, and He has given me some wonderful women to walk this journey of life, of being a wife, of motherhood, and of ministry, alongside me - and I am SO thankful.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miss you! More time at Christmas :)

Jess

Tracing in the Valley said...

My heart strings will be forever connected to yours. I love you baby.

Tracing in the Valley said...

By the way, thanks for making me cry. :)

Anonymous said...

By the way:
I wrote another journal entry!
:-P
Love you!
Kelsey

Angie said...

Hey Ame...how's the babysitting going? Have you started potty training yet? I've been thinking about you and wondering how it's going. I'd love to hear if you get a spare moment in between reading books sitting on the bathroom floor and cleaning up the messes. Hang in there! It can be long and very frustrating, but it will happen. That's what I would keep telling myself..."he won't be twenty and still wearing diapers, so even if it doesn't appear to be happening today, there's always tomorrow." Not sure if you've had a chance to check out my blog, but I've updated a couple times. Just lemme know if you've forgotten my blog addresss. love you muchly Ame. Hope you had a great day!

Anonymous said...

Hey, dear friend...where does the time go?! I miss you!!! Thanks for the shout-out on your blog!! Honestly...I know we have this special friendship and way of picking up where we left off, but...really, should we test the waters this way?! Ha ha!!! I miss you...we MUST talk soon! I love you!