Potty Training 101

So, the plan was that after we returned from Maine, Kaden and Mommy would begin the potty training saga. I have purchased Thomas the Tank Engine big boy skivvies, a little seat to go on top of our big potty, and M&M's for bribery (I mean, reward). I am seeking all wisdom and advice to glean from experienced professionals before we begin our adventure. I have done nothing to even begin to prepare him for this - he has never even sat on the toilet before. This is probably my first mistake. However, we are ready to dive into this challenge just as soon as I know my plan of attack.

Any wisdom? So far I have heard: start with pullups; plan on three or four months. Go immediately into big boy underwear; plan on one week. Don't give rewards; it's something everyone needs to learn and not be rewarded. Give incentives; everyone likes to be encouraged when they're learning something new. Give them their own potty seat, and let them sit on it whenever they want. Go immediately to the big potty; don't be sucked in by the gadgets. The list goes on, and this is advice that I have not even asked for!

Sooooooo, all my friends with kids who have potty trained - i.e. Wendy, Chantelle, Angie, Jen, Rachel and others..........be prepared for a phone call! We're coming to conquer! Good times!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy, DJ was over 3 by the time he was trained....don't get discouraged...they'll do it their time...not ours. --Bren

Anonymous said...

So how is it going so far? You're so right that reading and hearing advice can drive you crazy! I feel like I'm getting a little better at screening it out, but still hard. Like in the sleep department...just got to accept that my little girl loves to be held and touched and isn't really into the whole self-soothing thing. :) All in good time--got to appreciate the unique person she is and remember that there are far more important things than sleep--heh heh