Memories of a Farm Girl.

Written by my Marmie in November of 2007

As I watch the snow drift softly down
and the earth turns white o're the barren ground,
My mind goes back to a childhood past -
Where the joys of Christmas seemed to last!
Grampy's old barn and silo.

Not "too many" gifts beneath our tree -
But those we found there, were opened with glee!
We all had more than our parents before -
As we learned through the tales of their childhood lore.

My Dad told the tale of when he was a boy -
Some candy, an orange, and a ball - for his toy!
Perhaps a new pair of mittens some year -
And oh how he treasured each gift, as so dear!
The "grove" where Mom spent hours of play as a little girl.
I'm sure he'd have given his mitts and his ball -
For a "Mother's love" needed - by him and by all.
For his Mom left this earth on the day he turned eight -
Leaving him and three others to share the same fate.

Growing up without Mother to have and to hold -
To tuck them in bed from the winter's night cold;
To hear: "Son, I love you" for just one more time -
Would have seemed to his child's heart a "gift" more sublime
Than any that's tucked into stocking or such --
For a child needs a mother's love so very much.
...and where my little boys found Heaven.
That sad little boy grew into a man -
Who took a fine wife and worked the land.
They raised five kids on a dairy farm -
And growing potatoes was part of its charm.

We all picked potatoes and worked in the barn,
For we each had our jobs to help out on the farm.
In my striped coveralls and my "railroad" cap -
I made tracks to the barn - like a well-worn map!

My greatest delight - to be there with my Dad -
Just working beside him - like a fine little "lad."
Mixing the feed for the calves in the pail -
Holding it for them to drink that fine "ale" -
And liking the feel of their mouths on my hand -
As they nuzzled and pushed for their turn on "the can!"
A farm across the road...

Getting the grain from that big wooden bin -
And putting new hay into every cow's stall -
I worked with my Dad 'till the job was completed -
And had that great feeling that I had succeeded!
One of the views from where the farm sits.
If you look waaaay off into the distance, you can see my little country church where I grew up.

"We must take good care of the cows, " my Dad said -
As clean straw was thrown in every night for their beds.
Sometimes we climbed up high in the loft,
To throw down more bales - oh so prickly - not soft!
Another view from the farm.

I loved going into the silo, when empty -
Strange echoes - strange smells - met your nose upon entry!
A fun little "room" for us children to play -
But "climbing the silo" was never okay!
My baby girl's name...

The barn cats were mine, and I called them by name.
I cared for them daily and made each one tame.

When Dad milked the cows - he could not resist -
"Warm milk for the kittens" was first on my list!
Milked straight into their pan - or poured from the pail -
It suited them fine, with their long swishing tails!

I liked picking potatoes out in the fresh air -
Going home for noon dinners that Mom would prepare;
But my most favorite task that ever I had -
Was working each day in the barn - with my Dad!

Pictures were taken of the "old farmstead" where my Mama grew up ~ and where now my Uncle Larry and Aunty Myrna live ~ on a magical day this past Fall when my three boys and I, along with Mom took a stroll together down Memory Lane, up the old hill where she always went sliding... and back to her cherished past.

3 comments:

rachael a said...

oh. .. . so dear.

Jill Yockey said...

Amy-this was SO dear to my heart as were ALL of the pictures of my home. I related to everything in your moms poem because it is so much the same as we grew up!!! Can't tell you how much I love The Grove-very special place to Jodi, I and Stephen!!! So glad you could take your kids there too, I'm sure they loved it just as much as we do!!!! I just love the pictures, makes me miss home so much!!! Love you!!!

Shannie said...

What a legacy! I had a similar magical grove. Love your girl's name, ame.