Feasting In the New Year.

What better way to welcome in the New Year than with a whole bunch of delicious, little, foolproof, and easy to make finger foodies of all things glorious?  I agree...there is no better way!  And my New Year's gift to all of you fine friends who plan to spend the evening in your jammies, counting down the clock til the wee hours of 10:00 p.m.....I mean, wildly partying it up like we of course will be doing...ahem...cough..cough... here are a couple of delish little foodies that are sure to please a crowd...or even just a couple.

Exhibit A:  Granny Smith Apple Dip.
 It tastes like a Payday, it has cute presentation, and it is to die for.  The only rule is this:  You HAVE to use Granny Smith apples.  There has to be that salty/sweet/and sour combination going on to give you that party in your mouth sensation that you are going for.  Otherwise, you are sure to be disappointed.  Trust me.

So, here's all you need:  1 package of softened cream cheese, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons vanilla.  Mix all together, spread in the middle of a plate, and top with salted party peanuts.  The peanuts must also be salted - do not get ones that aren't, and do not go for the raw, healthy ones.  Save those for January 2nd. Then cut up your Granny Smith apples and arrange all around your plate like a cute little blooming onion.

You are welcome.


Next Up:  Jessica Bloodsworth's Never Fail Foolproof Potato Rolls of Glory:
Seriously, these rolls are amazing, and after you make them one time, you will rise up and call me blessed forevermore...just like I do with Jessica every single time I make them for myself.  And I make them A LOT....like a lot a lot.  Like for pretty much every Holiday and meal at somebody's house that I go to.  These things meet all of my cooking requirements:  Easy, no fuss, foolproof, they are a one-bowl wonder, they do not have to be completed from start to finish all at once, and they come with many options.  Allow me to demonstrate...

First, throw all of these things into a big bowl:
1 1/2 cups of warm water
2 Tablespoons dry yeast
2/3 cup sugar.

Stir these things up and let it sit for about 10 minutes - til it gets a bit foamy.
Then throw everything else into the same bowl, as well:
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup melted butter
2 beaten eggs
1 cup lukewarm mashed potato (and if you really want to be lazy, instant works fine)
7 cups flour.

Stir everything up - no kneading necessary!!!  Bonus point #1
Let rise on the counter - or in the fridge for up to 7 days!!!  Bonus point #2
Dough can also be frozen to be used later!!! - Bonus point #3
Makes a ginormous batch - 2-3 dozen, depending on size rolls desired. - Bonus point #4

Upon readiness for baking, preheat oven to 375.  Divide dough in half, roll each half into a circle and cut it up like a pizza.  (Cut in half and then in half again.  Cut each quarter into 3 slices if you want really big rolls, or each quarter into 4 slices if you want regular sized rolls).  What you see pictured above are the smaller ones.  Cook in 375 degree oven for 13-15 minutes or until they start to brown.

They are also super delicious with cinnamon and sugar rolled into them and a little glaze put on top.  OR, with pizza filling rolled into them and dipped in sauce.  OR, with tons of roasted garlic and melted butter.

OH!  so!  versatile!
Bonus point #5, Baby!  Stick a fork in you - you'll never go back.  I promise you this...

Okay.  Moving on...
Exhibit C:  I give you, courtesy of my good friend Pinterest, The Fruity Dip of Deliciousness:
(I actually, can't really remember the name of this one.  Call it what you wish).
This is pretty, it's easy, it's fun, and it is a crowd pleaser.

So, this is what you do.  Buy whatever kind of tortilla that your little heart desires.  Spread melted butter and cinnamon and sugar all over the top, and bake in a 300 degree oven for 4 or 5 minutes - or until it starts to get crispy.  You want it to crisp up kind of like a chip.  Then cut them all up into pizza wedges.

For the fruit platter - all I did what throw in whatever fruit I wanted, some of my homemade strawberry preserves, and a little bit of cinnamon.  Easy Sneezy.  In this here pictured concoction I used blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, apples, kiwi, and pears.  I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you choose.

Dip those little pita chips into your fruit dip of wonder, savor the flavor, and in your heart of hearts thank me for being your new best friend...

And finally....
And without a picture, I'm afraid - because it was literally consumed that quickly...
I give you my cousin Jodi's Buffalo Chicken Dip of Amazement

A super easy way to use up some of that leftover holiday turkey or chicken!  Take a pan and spread 1-2 packages of cream cheese on the bottom.  Next, layer some of your shredded chicken.  On top of that shake some buffalo wing hot sauce - to taste, depending on your heat level.  And finally, top with shredded cheese.  I believe she used cheddar.  Melt all of this in your oven and serve with tortilla chips.

You're welcome.
And, for the record, I never once said that any of these things were going to be healthy.
Joy to the world, and Happy New Year's!
I'll see you at the gym...or not...

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Just whipped up a half batch of those thar potato rolls...complete with cinnamon sugar, of course! Crazy crazy good!! Thanks for sharing!! Happy New Year!

Jodi said...

1 cream cheese would be a very small dish of this - use 2 cream cheeses!!