Our New Additions....

Okay. Here are just a couple of pictures of our newest littles. This is their new pad that they'll have for a few weeks. Our turkey has to be separated because he eats different feed, and the chickens can carry a type of "disease" (for lack of a better word) that doesn't affect them but can be fatal for Mr. Turk.

Until they get super stinky, they'll hang out with us in the corner of the our kitchen. I want them to get used to our voices and the kids' handling them, because I want them to be super people friendly once they move outside.

This is Mr. Turk. He's the friendliest of all of them, and I must say that I am quite in love with him. He loves people and will cry to be held. As soon as he is picked up, he'll tuck himself right into our hands or arms and fall immediately asleep. I don't know how anyone could not love that.

I did a little research on keeping this particular brand of turkey for pets...ahem....but all that I've read says that he'll get to be so big that he could potentially have heart and leg problems - carrying around all of that excess weight. This breed is not intended to be for pets. So, we'll give him a rockin' life and then he won't know what hit him come Turkey Day.

That's the plan anyway....hmn.



And these are our baby chicks. The three black ones with white spots on their heads are Barred Rock. They'll be really big and hearty. They're gentle birds and get along well with other breeds. And the chipmunky striped ones are Americaunas, and they'll lay greenish blue eggs for us. Kinda' fun.

I love my new babies.......

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

They are all so cute! Poor mister turkey is lonely. You need another one to keep him company. This sure brings back the memories of when my girls were little and we got chicks and ducklings for our "farm". Have fun! :-)