The Difference Between Us

Well, since this post is about Kev and I, I shouldn't pretend there is only one difference between us....we're night and day in many ways....but today was about a biggy.

Of the two of us, I am much more the task oriented person. When people look at the two of us without really knowing us - because I am more publicly outgoing and crazy (he is just as much so behind closed doors, but few people get the rare glimpse) - I am often thought of as the more, oh shall we say, "spontaneous" and "fun" one.

So not true.

If it were not for Kev, I would be in perpetual "go" mode. I would be constantly working on some project or other, and my constant companian of an excuse would be, "It's only a season." To which Kev always replies: "There will ALWAYS be a season. We need to be intentional NOW."

If I had been the one in the grad program out at PBU - no lie - our marriage would have suffered. I'm a nerd. I want straight A's. And I will not take a break until all of my work is accomplished. It is VERY hard for me to sit still and just "be" when there are things to be done. There was many an afternoon that Kev came home early from doing homework - leaving some of it undone and willing to take a lower grade - so that he could take us to the park or out to icecream for a few hours before heading back to an evening class. He worked two jobs - leading worship and being a barista at Starbucks - and most semesters he took more than an average course load.

But we never once felt neglected. He always put us first. And they were three pretty amazing years. I'm sorry to say that I wonder if that would have been the case had I been in his shoes.

Today was kind of like that.

Aaron was here helping with the chicken coop. Huge progress was being made. And everything within me wanted to say - let's can our plans for Bar Harbor today and just stay home and get this thing done! Aaron is willing to stay longer, we have all of the supplies and his expertise, LET'S JUST DO IT!

But Kev said no.

And I'm so glad he did. There is something so very different and special about taking your whole family and just kicking it for the day. Getting away from life, the house's chores, phone calls and emails, and just "BEING." With each other. With no distractions. A family day FORCES us to relax with our kids and truly enjoy each other.

I highly recommend it.

It's good. So good. And necessary for us. It's a big part of the glue of this family. So thankful for this huge difference between us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will always remember seeing the "less serious" side of Kevin the time we stayed with you at PBU! How fun!

How wise he is...you will never look back and say, "I wish we'd gotten that chicken coop built sooner," but you will look back at fond memories of the day in Bar Harbor!

Debby B.

Kristi said...

I love you guys...both of you -- you are BOTH sooo much fun to be with - I've laughed my head off so many times with both of you - and am just soooo happy for your sweet marriage....and friendship -- i cannot wait to see you guys. i'm so glad you have a man who values his family above other things...i hope you had a lovely day. i'm also so glad that your brothers are not gonna be too far away from you -- how nice!!! I love ya, old friend...let's chat again soon, okay?!