Our Babies Have Arrived!

We have 7 absolutely adorable little bundles of fluff residing in our kitchen right now. Three baby Barred Rock chicks, three baby Americaunas (that will lay green eggs, by the way), and one little Baby Turkey that Blue Seal just gave to us because he was the only one left and they were anxious to get rid of him; and we were suckers for a little ball of fluff......that I know full well will soon become a stinky, ginorous gobbler.

Ah well, I couldn't help myself.

So for now, the plan will be for Mr. Turk to be our main course come Thanksgiving....but in my heart of hearts, I will be shocked if this plan actually comes to fruition with all of the tenderhearts that reside in this house. But maybe it will - if he gets really gross and poopy...or if he's mean to the girls.

We shall see.....

Pics will be coming forthwith. They're hanging out in our kitchen for the first week or so - until they start to stink up the place. Which won't be too long from now. But, I actually really want them to be handled a lot while they're young so that they become really kid friendly.

I don't think I could ever become a true farmer. We gave three babies to a friend yesterday, per a previous agreement. When she put them in with her ten layers, and the layers immediately began ganging up on them, I almost scooped them back up and brought them home. I know that there really is a true pecking order with chickens, but did it ever hurt my heart! I'm going to try to teach my girls some manners.

And the poor little turkey so wants to be with the others, but he has to have different feed. So, we put up a screen separater so that he can at least see them. And it's so sweet - they all lay against the screen together, so that he still is touching them. (And also, because the heat lamp is directly above them, right there. But, I still love that they are able to snuggle together).

Oh, I love it.

There were also baby goats at Blue Seal selling for the low low price of $100.00. Had they been $40 or less, I would have brought one of those home too and told Kev that's what I want for my birthday.

Best to start small, though, methinks. I'm still trying to fanagle a couple of ducks out of him, too. Anybody got cute chicken name ideas? So far we have a: Blacky - (Kaden's choice), a Spotty (Jesse's choice), and a Chloe (Mine). We need three more!

3 comments:

Rachael said...

Woo-hoo!!! The fun begins....

Anonymous said...

What will you do next? You are so cute : ) I can't imagine having chickens. But then again, I have my fill of animals with 2 dogs and a cat! I don't think the chicks would survive around here...
Can't wait to see them!

Chantelle said...

i'm greeeeeeeen with envy. i'd LOVE to have chickies... then again there are probably enough 'hens' around my house as it is. ;)

What about 'Henrietta'? :)