Barred Rock Beauties!

Meet the soon-to-be newest members of our family.


You're lookin' good, girls!

Well, actually, they'll come to us looking more like soft little black and grey preciousness.

I really have no idea what I'm doing, just so you know. I had chickens all growing up, but the only thing that I can remember is watching them fly around like a bunch of crazies after Dad chopped their heads off and then plucking them while discussing with my bros which one was "Fluffy," and which one was "Red."

Scarred for life.

To be honest, part of the draw in choosing this breed is that they are both egg layers and meat birds. Soooooo, should I discover that I have "bitten off more than I can chew" so to speak......we will have ourselves a couple of fat hens to chew on for our suppers this winter.

That might be too mean to the boys, though.

In all seriousness, I did a lot of research on all of the different chicken varieties, and although I do somewhat agree with the experts that "chickens are chickens" and "they'll be as friendly as the amount of time you spend with them," I also wanted a shall we say, "hearty" bird who could handle some serious "loving" from three crazies. Also, I have been told that they are, and I quote: "not discouraged by the cold." That's good, since Kev probably won't let them in the house this winter.

Sooo, sometime around the second week of May, we are going to have ourselves a few new little babies in the family. And possibly a wee little duckling or two, if I can convince Kevy. Still working on the baby lambs and goats that are at Blue Seal right now. Kev says he has to draw the line somewhere.......

1 comment:

Rachael said...

WOO-HOOO! Congrats, Farmer Amy! :o)