Dates

My eldest love and I went on a little date today to our local tearoom. I'm trying to get in all of the things that I really love in these last few days before we move, and I thought it would be fun if the two of us when for a wee snack. I got a sitter for Jesse, and then a friend from church with her two little girls who are good friends of Kaden's and are right around his age went out for a yummy lunch.

Kaden is secure enough in his manhood to drink out of princess cups with the other girls; although he drew the line at wearing dress up hats and costume jewelry! I was just as glad myself. :0) Anyway, it was tons of fun - we're both all about the food - so it was a really nice morning.

As the kids get older, more and more I am realizing the need to do individual things with each one of them on a regular basis. It's so easy to just be tag-teaming them both all throughout the day, that I often do not feel like I really had any great quality time with either - even though we spend all of each and every day together. While Jesse naps in the morning, Kaden and I always try to do something fun; and when Jesse wakes before Kaden in the afternoon, he and I get some just alone together, as well. So, things have been working out that way pretty well. I just want to start doing some more intentional things with each of them.

It's so easy to be involved with so many other "important" people all throughout our days and weeks, that by the time each day is done, it's easy to feel really fried and not have a whole lot left over in the evenings for the kids. We don't ever want our children to doubt their importance to us, and we don't want to give everyone else the best of ourselves. So, we're starting to try and find some creative ways to do some extras with the boys. For starters, Kev is going to start taking Kaden out to breakfast every Tuesday morning - just the two of them, so they're both pretty stoked about that. Jesse's still so young - he's content as long as he can get some snuggle time. But, while they are out, I am going to really focus on giving Jesse all of me and try hard to not be distracted by all the things that could be getting done! And I also promised Kaden that for our next date, we would do something a little more manly!

Life is a constant battle of busyness and distractions. It can spiral out of control so quickly, and it is so easy to forget about the things that are truly important. So, we're taking baby steps to try and safeguard against this. Our children are our priority, and after each other - they are our primary "ministry."

No comments: