Let the Good Times Roll!

Well, today is the day that I have decided to bite the bullet and begin potty training Jesse. I woke up feeling up for a challenge, so we shall begin. I waited until Kaden was 2 1/2 and found that age to be quite successful, so now that the wildness of the holidays is tapering down, I have decided that we may as well give 'er a roll while I have a few days in succession to be home.

Everyone has their own method and their own way of doing this. To be honest, this was the one event that absolutely paralyzed me when it was time to teach Kaden. I wondered how in the world I would be able to communicate to this child that when he knew his bladder was full, and instead of going in his diaper, he needed to empty it in the potty instead.

I talked to a lot of seasoned moms until I found the method that I thought would work for me and my personality. I much prefer taking several days to focus soley and completely on that one task until it is somewhat conquered rather than go for weeks and weeks. I don't have the patience for that method.

I also decided to start the training with him sitting as opposed to standing. That way, if number 2 takes place while number 1 is getting accomplished, it will ALWAYS land in the toilet - not the floor or the undies. Standing comes later....along with the aiming at the Cheerioes and all that.

So, this is what we do:
Step one: Talk it up BIG for a couple of days before. Make it almost as exciting as Christmas! Seriously.

Step two: Buy lots of salty snacks and yummy fruit juices. The saying goes: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink," right? True. True. But you CAN salt his food! So, we eat lots of salty snacks to encourage the desire to drink! Plus, all of the yummy juices give good incentive, as well.

Step Three: First thing in the morning, he goes right into big boy undies. No pull-ups, and none of those fancy schmancy things that supposedly feel cold when you start to pee. I tried those with Kaden, and they felt too much like diapers. Peeing in those didn't bother him.

Step Four: Buy lots of little treats and have them in FULL view all day! (More incentive.)

Step Five: Roll up all rugs and things that will get peed on, and lay down the rules that no sitting on the couches or beds are allowed while we play today! Bring up the plastic camp chairs instead.

Step Six: Pray for boatloads of patience and stamina to keep up the excitement.

Step Seven: Prepare for many an ocean along with the few successes!

Step Eight: Set up a nice little reading station for them in the bathroom during their "sitting spells."

Step Nine: Set the timer for twenty minutes. And every twenty minutes ALL. DAY. LONG. give 'er a try when the buzzer rings.

Step Ten: Reward any and all successes with M&M's or gummy bears.

Step Eleven: Look on the bright side - all mistakes will give you cause to scrub your floor, which will mean, by days end - your floors will be REALLY clean!

Here's where we are at today as of naptime.
Let's just say that my kitchen floor, the boys' bedroom floor, and a certain area at the foot of our couch in the living room is now sparkly clean! But, on the other hand, we have also had five successes thus far.

Five out of eight. Not bad.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

haha! Love it! Not bad at all for a first day, I must say!! Good luck to ya, my friend! :o)