Midwives and Birthing Centers....

Because my last birthing experience was so yucky for both Kev and I, we have decided to go the midwife/birthing center route for this next labor and delivery. One of my dear friends out here has paved the way for me in going to this one specific birthing center which she loves and raves about. So, last week, Kev and I had our first appointment here.....and we BOTH loved it! I wasn't sure if Kev would go for the whole birthing center route, but he now hates hospitals as well, so it works out quite nicely.

There are only two midwives at this facility - one is my age! We go to our appointments downstairs and we labor and deliver upstairs. When I had my appointment, I discovered that there was someone upstairs in labor, so I made it a point to listen as carefully as I could to make sure that the walls were sound proof - and they are; I heard nothing. Phew!

With these women, we can choose to either give birth at home, at the birthing center, or at one specific hospital where the midwives will still have full control. Our apartment is just out of their realm of travel for a home birth -which I guess is okay since we live in a complex with paper thin walls and since Kev hasn't been real thrilled with that whole idea all along! So, for now, our choice is to use the birthing center - unless there are complications towards the end of my labor in which I will have no choice but to go to the hospital.

Either way, though, I'm thinking and hoping that this experience will be far more positive than the last. These women are holistic, they are content to wait and let you work, and they will first use more natural methods for everything before rushing such yuckyness as pitocin, cutting, and the like. It was a very positive experience overall, and although for a brief moment I had the thought of, "Oh my, we truly ARE doing this all over again!" I really feel excited and encouraged. :0)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay! I am so excited you are going this route--midwives are the bestest! And I had such a nice visit with you while you were home, Ame--thank you and love--Shannie